Thursday, October 27, 2011

If You Have a Daughter...

.....then I highly recommend this book - "Women of the Bible" by Spangler/Syswerda. About a year ago, my 7 year old and I started this book together. Now, we are on our last few women, and I look back and realize what a blessing it has been - for both of us.


We read one woman at a time and discuss so many different things....what a vocabulary word meant (it's not designed for children, so I have to stop and discuss quite often!).....why many women in the Bible make bad decisions.....what Godly quality some women possess.....and it's been a refresher course for me, too.

I absolutely am challenged by the widow of Zaraphath - what rational mind would give away their last meal before death by poverty & starvation to a complete stranger? Unbelievable faith and the absolute mark of true obedience.

The widow with two coins. Again - a woman in utter poverty giving all she had out of obedience and faith - giving sacrificially, not just giving a sliver out of abundance.

And Dorcas, (yes, I, too, laughed along with Grace when I introduced that night's reading subject ; ) - a woman who lived a life for Christ. Doing the practical, helpful things she could while here on earth, until she one day would be with the Lord she served.

Obedient, sacrificial living....... shared with my first daughter.



3 comments:

Floppin Flower said...

Thanks for sharing this. I have not heard of this book but am very interested!!!

Vintage and Company said...

great idea Flo! I need to add it to my list!

Keri said...

I would like to borrow it if you don't mind. Maybe we can do a trade or something. I may have a book or two you haven't read just yet.

 
Design by Deluxe Designs